Monday 19 July 2010

Loganberry Jam

The gooseberry jam didn't last long, so I made some loganberry jam last night.

3 pounds of loganberries made 5 jars of jam

Put all the loganberries in a big pan, no water, mash a few with a wooden spoon, boil for about 20 mins - the loganberries break down in their own juice
Turn the heat down, add 3 pounds of sugar, stir in well to ensure all the sugar is disolved properly
Bring to boil for another 20 mins and test for set with a cold plate - if it isn't ready, boil a bit more and keep testing
When it's ready, pour into hot, sterilised jam jars

I used ordinary jam jars, the same as those we get from the supermarkets - I washed them in the dishwasher before storing with lids on
To sterlise them, I poured boiling water in them and rinsed them out
I then put the jars in the oven on the lowest setting to warm them up - pouring hot jam in a cold jar could break the jar
I used the ordinary jam jar lids, sterilised in boiling water - as the lids have the smooth waxy coating underneath, no need for wax discs or any messing about - as the jam cools, the pop-up safety button should pop down

The jam is very good but it's a bit runnier than I'd like. That might be because it wasn't boiled enough or didn't reach a high enough temperature. Or it could be that it didn't have enough pectin to cause a set. Next time I'll add a spoonful of lemon juice to help the set.

No comments:

Post a Comment