Thursday 8 July 2010

A Catch Up - Part 2

Following on from the previous post .....

Not much has happened on the allotment. Most of it was sheeted over to prevent weeds. Fortunately most of the sheeting has stayed in place. so mostly weed free.

The potatoes have suffered. The late frost caused some damage and the hot, dry weather has taken it's toll too. The potato beds weren't covered so were full of weeds. I have now weeded the first bed and soaked the bed a few times (I now have a hose with attachments at last!) - the potatoes seem to be recovering. I'll weed the second bed this week and hopefully earth up too.

I planted out 30 sweetcorn through the weed sheeting - I had dug the bed over some weeks ago then sheeted it over. They are all doing "ok", but not very big yet. I also planted about 120 onions on the salads bed - again the dry weather has taken it's toll.

The gooseberries, redcurrants and blackcurrants all have a lot of tall grass growing through them and are covered in a climbing weed with big white flowers. I think it's all helping to keep the birds from eating the fruit, but I'd rather clear the weeds and net the bushes. In any case, it's just about time to pick the fruit, so will try and do that next week. The strawberries are completely lost in the weeds.

One grape vine is visible in the weeds. I'll try and find the other and clear more weeds from the plot. The plum and pear treeds on the plot seem to be doing well with loads of fruit this year. The raspberries are poor again, so will replace some or all of them over the winter with canes saved from home.

That's about it for the allotment - hopefully I'll have some brassicas to plant out soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment