Sunday 18 April 2010

More Sowings

Bright, warm sunshine and I've been suffering with a heavy cold. Typical! Not to be deterred, I was sowing more seeds yesterday:

2 pots Leeks
2 pots Spring Onions

8 Lettuce Webbs
8 Lettuce Iceberg 2
8 Lettuce Iceberg Set

12 Lettuce Mini Green
12 Lettuce Little Gem

4 Butternut Squash
4 Courgette Green Bush
4 Cucumber Marketer
4 Cucumber Marketmore
4 Celery Sigfrido
4 Celery Lathom

30 Sweetcorn Minipop

1 King Edward in a large pot for the patio

24 Calabrese Sakura

10 Calabrese Belstar
14 Broccoli Green Magic

12 Cauliflower All Year Round
10 Cabbage Wheelers
2 Kale Black Tuscany

10 Climbing Beans Blue Lake (in 3" pots)

4 Thyme Old English
4 Thyme Orange Scented
4 Sage
4 Oregano
2 Parsley Envy
2 Sweet Basil
2 Basil Siam Queen
2 Rocket
2 Summer Savory

Small tub Parsnip Gladiator

2 Horseradish roots into deep square pots

Most of remaining onions sown in 2" pots

Most of the King Edwards were planted out on the allotment the other day. I've kept one for a patio pot at home. It's in a large pot of compost, so we'll see how it compares with the ones planted in the ground on the allotment and the veggie patch.

Having planted out a lot of onions, I've started more in the 2" round pots to give them a head start against the weeds. The ground hasn't been prepared for them just yet.

I've sown a huge batch of herbs. I'm not very clued up on herbs, so this is a bit of a learning curve. Last year I read about "companion planting" using herbs to attract bees and deter other bugs - I'll need to find the articles and read them again until it all sinks in.

I've sown a small tub of parsnips. Me and my son don't eat parsnips, but other people do, so will be useful if I end up cooking for other people. If nothing else, I could try making some parsnip wine.

The ground isn't ready for planting out horseradish - it'll be a while before I get that dug over. So for this year, I've planted 2 horseradish roots into deep square pots of compost. We'll see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment