Wednesday 24 February 2010

Leeks

Leeks should be easy to grow. They can be planted out in the potato bed as soon as the potatoes are dug up, so the ground gets used twice. They can be picked through the winter and can be used in soups etc.

Last year I sowed them in seed trays but they didn't grow very well. I saw a TV programme where they grew leeks and transplanted them - the leeks were about pencil thickness and the roots were quite long and tangled. Maybe they need longer / deeper roots to grow to pencil thickness and maybe starting them in seed tray cells didn't let them grow long enough roots??

This year I've sowed loads of seeds into a 5 inch pot - hopefully the deeper pot will help them grow better. I'll need to sow a lot more later but need to work out how many I'll have room for.

No comments:

Post a Comment