Wednesday 24 February 2010

January Sowings

I'm making an early start this year. Most seeds need sowing around March/April, which is around the same time as the veggie patch and allotment need digging over. As those months will be very busy, I've sown some of the early seeds already.

I started with Winter Gem lettuce, which can be sown in a cold greenhouse in January, plus Thompson and All Year Round cauliflower and Aquadulce Claudia broad beans. I sowed them in cells indoors - they are in the spare room.

The seem to have got very stringy (lack of light) despite being on a desk in front of the bay window. It's been grim outside, often cloudy and grey. It looks like I didn't water them enough as some of them have fallen over. However, they don't appear to be dead, so will keep them going a bit longer.

I also sowed a tray each of Gardeners Delight cherry tomatoes, Moneymaker tomatoes, and sweet peppers. These will be potted on for sale at the Scout Group Easter Fair at the end of March - all money will be for the Scout Group. Obviously I'd like these to look big, strong and healthy, and they're doing ok so far. I've been a bit more careful with the watering.

Indoor sowing isn't brilliant - the cells dry out very quickly and they need to be watered carefully so as not to make a mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment