Wednesday 24 February 2010

Chitting the spuds

I now have 4 trays of seed potatoes chitting in the spare room.

Last year I chose numerous varieties, just a few of each. They all grew fine, but I couldn't remember what I'd planted where. First earlies were left in the ground longer than necessary, some lates and earlies are still in the ground right now.

This year I've decided to stick to 4 varieties and be more organised with planting and digging up. They were bought ready bagged, each bag having about 40 seed potatoes in it.

The varieties I've chosen are:
Charlotte - a salad potato - fairly waxy, suitable for salads, boiling and roasting
Duke of York - first early - very waxy, suitable for roasting
Maris Peer - second early - fairly waxy, suitable for salads / boiling
King Edward - a maincrop - fairly floury, suitable for roasting and mashing

The info about waxy / floury etc was from the Potato Council website at http://www.lovepotatoes.co.uk

By being more organised with the planting, I'll be able to dig up a whole bed of spuds and plant leeks straight away (providing the leeks grow this year!)

I haven't yet worked out how much room I have for spuds and whether I'll need to buy any more. I'll check that up next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment