Wednesday 24 February 2010

February Sowings

I sowed loads of seeds on 15th Feb. The spare room is filling up!

I'm going to try better at successional sowing this year, so have sown some of each now. I will sow more of each every few weeks in the hope that later sowing mature later, so that I can pick and use throughout the year instead of having huge gluts at various times and needing to freeze everything.

I've sown 4 trays of Twinkle Peas - these are a very early variety. I have other varieties that I can sow later in the year to extend the growing and picking season. There should be enough for an 8 foot row. Last year I tried sowing peas directly in the ground, but a row of about 96 peas produced about 5 pea plants and the weeds just took over. Previous year's sowings were started in cells, and that worked fine, so back to the cells again this year. So far, these peas are about 2-3 inches tall - taller than I was expecting, but that's probably because they've been started indoors.

I have a tray of 24 Green Magic broccoli. Again, this is an early variety and I have other varieties for sowing and harvesting later in the year. They're all looking healthy so far.

The list sown indoors in cells in January:
24 lettuce Winter Gem (all failing)
4 cauliflower Thompson (failing)
7 cauliflower All Year Round (failing)
13 broad bean Aquadulce Claudia (looking ok)

The full list sown indoors in cells in February:
96 pea Twinkle
12 celery Lathom Galaxy
8 cauliflower All Year Round
4 Aubergine
24 broccoli Green Magic
8 tomato Moneymaker
4 tomato Tamina
4 tomato Alicante
4 tomato Black Cherry
4 tomato Italian (plum)
4 spinach Picasso
4 spinach Hector
16 sprouts Brilliant
10 sweet pepper WorldBeater
10 sweet pepper from saved seeds (originally from supermarket sweet pepper)
10 pepper Hot Caribbean Blend
5 chilli Twighlight
5 chilli Cayenne

I'll explain choice of varieties in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment