Wednesday 17 June 2009

The First Post

This is a simple blog for me to record progress with growing fruit and veggies and winemaking and so on. I'm hoping the blog makes it easier to look back at what went well and what went badly so that I can learn from success and failure. If others learn from it too, then even better.

I have been growing fruit and veg at home since 2006. Back then I had a very overgrown garden, only managed to clear a couple of small patches approx 4ft x 2ft, and most of what I grew was soon lost in weeds - I was far too busy renovating the house to spend time in the garden.

2007 was a slightly better year. I managed to clear more of the garden and dig over 2 8ft x 8ft beds and plant quite a few things. Unfortunately I was still busy with the house and most veggies died off in the heatwave. But I did learn quite a lot.

2008 was better. I stopped decorating and spent more time in the garden. I set up a greenhouse and cleared other parts of the fruit and veg patches. Had a lot of success with beans, sweetcorn, cauliflower and onions, and with tomatoes in the greenhouse. Did a lot of trial and error, lots of failures, learnt a lot.

Summer 2008 I was offered a plot on Roundshaw Allotments. It was a bit overgrown, dug over parts of it and planted out autumn onion sets to overwinter.

2009 didn't get off to a good start. I came home from holiday in February and had food poisoning for 5 weeks, right through the most important sowing and digging time of the year! I had good days and bad, caught up in April. But then in May I was hit very suddenly with arthritis. Not good for a not-quite-40-year-old who is normally fit and active!!

Ho hum ......

I'll try and post to this blog a couple of times a week ........

No comments:

Post a Comment