Wednesday 17 June 2009

2007 - Part 1



2007 was a slightly better year. I got my greenhouse set up around April and managed to clear more of the garden.


Two 8ft x 8ft beds were dug over and planted with quite a lot of veg. The gooseberries that had been in pots for years, were transplanted to a fruit bed, along with some raspberry and loganberry canes.




Unfortunately I was still busy with the house and not very organised with the veggies. Did fairly well with a lot of basics but didn't know much about various veggies. I sowed things at the wrong time, they ran to seed or got overtaken by weeds. On the plus side, I learnt a lot from trial and error, from reading and from friends.

Croydon Council offered me a plot on my nearest allotments - had been on the waiting list for about a year. Turned out it was full of trees and brambles and had been used as a dumping ground for other people's rubbish and rubble. Other plot holders said it hadn't been used for at least 15-20 years. It would take a very long time to clear the rubble and trees and roots to make it usable. There was no way I could take on that much work so had to say no.

No comments:

Post a Comment