Friday 17 August 2012

Sloe Hunting

I love the whole foraging thing - free food! Or even better, free wine! Unfortunately I'm not very clued up yet. I can spot a few basics like plums, elderberries, blackberries and so on, but not much more. I probably walk past loads of free food every day without realising it.

Sloes turning blue in August
I finally found some sloes. I had to do a lot of research to find out what sloes looked like, how big they would be, the likely places to find them etc. I had to send photos to other people to get confirmation, and finally, I have it.

I know other people will be eyeing them up, so I'll keep watch on them for a while. Hopefully we can pick them before everyone else does. Naturally I won't reveal the location - it's my little secret!

Sloes are apparently best after a frost - the frost sweetens them up. We'll pick them before the first frosts and freeze them - the freezer should do the same thing as a frost. Once we have them, we'll be making loads of wine and sloe gin.

No comments:

Post a Comment