Friday 17 August 2012

Potatoes

We've done fairly well with the spuds this year. We haven't had to buy any for a couple of months now.The yield per sack is fairly low though - I'm sure we could get twice as many per sack in a good year.

The Charlottes are nice. We had Swift were good, We had another variety that I forgot the name of, which is a real shame, because they were very very nice.

Charlottes left, Desiree right
I've emptied the first sack of Desiree potatoes. They're a nice red colour, not as big as I'd hoped for, but easily enough for a dinner. They'll make a nice change from the Charlottes we're still working our way through.

We have another 9 sacks of Charlottes to empty. That should be enough for about 25 dinners. Might be better next year if we grow more maincrops in sacks rather than salad potatoes - the bigger the crop, the better!

The greenery in all the sacks has died off. The greenery on the King Edwards and Desiree that were planted in the ground has started to die back. I'll be leaving these potatoes in the ground for a few more weeks yet. When I dig them up, I'll plant leeks out straight away - the leeks are slowly thickening up.

I'm going to get some seed potatoes today so that we can have new potatoes for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment