Tuesday 9 March 2010

Onions

200 onion sets started in 2" pots of compost.

I've started them in 2" pots so they get a good headstart to beat the weeds. When they're growing well, they'll be planted out in freshly dug ground. This has worked well for me in the past.

I've chosen a few varieties to see how well they grow and which ones we prefer. What I've started so far is:
40 Centurion
40 Stetton
60 Stuttgarter Giant
60 Red Baron

Centurion are supposed to be a good early variety that will grow well whatever the weather. I've grown Red Baron before and was very happy with them.

I'll be planting them in blocks of white, red, white, red, white, so I can identify them more easily. I'll be planting them fairly close together to minimise space for weeds - the less weeding, the better.

I have at least 100 more, some of each variety, for planting a bit later. I'll plant a few on the allotment to see if they grow better in my garden or the allotment.

These summer onions should last me quite a while - I'll be planting out a few autumn onion sets, but they won't be ready until about May next year, so what I grow now needs to last. I'll need to find a good solution for storage until the autumn sets come up next May.

Apart from normal cooking and salads, I'll be making various pickles and chutneys this year, hence growing 300 onions ....

No comments:

Post a Comment