Tuesday 23 March 2010

Clearing the brassicas bed

Started off nice and sunny today, so went down the garden and cleared the old brassicas bed. This will become the new potatoes bed.

Last year I planted out various broccoli, cauliflower, cabbages, kale and sprouts in this bed. Illness meant I couldn't harvest all the crops in time, so some were left over the winter and rotted. The whole lot came up easily.

I'd used weed sheeting and planted through, so the ground was weed free. I moved the weed sheeting to the old salads bed, which will become the new brassicas bed this year. The underside of the weed sheeting was cleanest, so it was turned over and held down with old roof tiles.

The ground was still sticky, but fairly easy to dig. I managed to dig about 3/4 of the 8x8 bed before it started raining again. I decided to give up for now and carry on when it's dry and sunny again.

The potatoes are chitting upstairs, almost ready for planting out. I'll plant half the bed with earlies and half with maincrops.

When the potatoes are dug up, I'll plant leeks straight into the ground. The leeks are sprouting now in the greenhouse, so it's all looking good.

No comments:

Post a Comment