Tuesday 2 October 2012

Leeks

About a week ago, I dug over a bed and planted out some leeks. I planted the Musselburgh that I'd put in troughs about 5 weeks earlier. They'd grown well in the troughs, thickening up nicely. These ones didn't have the roots trimmed for transplanting into the pots or into the ground.

I planted something like 80 leeks approx 6in apart. They've taken well, growing strongly. It might be too late in the year to get full-sized leeks, but hopefully they'll do well enough for a decent crop. I might thin them by pulling alternate leeks as required, but we'll see how they come along.

The Bandit leeks are still in the tomato pots, doing well. These are the ones that were trimmed. It's far too wet to dig up the spuds yet so no chance of planting them out any time soon.

The Autumn Giant and others still in the original pots will probably end up in the compost bin if the weather carries on like this ....

No comments:

Post a Comment