Saturday 15 October 2011

Winter Onions

We stopped off at the garden centre today and picked up some onion sets for overwintering. Varieties are:
Electric (Red)
Troy (Yellow)
Senshyu (Yellow)
Each pack has approx 50 onions.

In the past, I have started onions in 2 inch round pots. 2 or 3 weeks later, I dig over the onion bed and clear all the weeds, and then plant out the onions. By this time, they normally have good roots and the stems have reached 4-6 inches. This gives them a really good headstart against the weeds.

In spring this year, I was working full time, which meant I didn't have time to plant in pots and transplant later, so I planted the onion sets directly into a freshly dug onion bed. Sadly the weeds took control and the onions didn't grow very well.

Today I reverted to the old method. Some were a bit dried out and simply won't grow, but as there are normally a few extra in each pack, we managed to get 150 onions into the small pots. All are in the greenhouse now.

No comments:

Post a Comment